Hello, folks! I don’t think any of us have any doubts about the benefits of healthy eating. But often useful recommendations and tips remain just recommendations.
Our own laziness, unwillingness to change something in the way of life, lack of time do not allow us to make serious adjustments in the organization of nutrition, even if it is necessary.
Today, I decided to share my (still small) experience of how to organise healthy eating in my family.
This idea has been in the air for a long time, but, as always, there was not enough time to stop for fragments of thoughts, most of which came to me at night at the first stage of sleep (I don’t know why so), to think about it and give it all some meaningful expression.
Finally, I did it. I had a plan of action in mind at the first stage. However, I don’t want to impose it on anyone, because it’s just my vision of healthy eating, and most of it was formed under the influence of the recently read book by American professor Colin Campbell “Chinese Studies”.
I talked about it on the blog “Traveling with Children”. I won’t repeat it, if you’re interested, read it.
I just want to say that the book shocked me and completely changed the way I think about eating. Maybe it caught my eye, because many of the health problems mentioned in this study have touched my family members as well.
I don’t know if it will be possible to put into practice all the recommendations in the book, but I am trying and already taking some actions in this direction.
Although, I agree, it’s not that simple. The usual stereotypes, unwillingness of my family members is what I try to implement in my kitchen, and sometimes even the most simply have no strength to fight the desire to eat something – all this does not fit into the scheme of healthy eating. But we try. Although I am sure that this transition will not be easy and fast. And all the more radical.
At this stage, I have started to gradually replace products that we are accustomed to since childhood (such as fatty meats, fried meals, all kinds of delicious delicacies, such as cakes, pastries and sweets) with products that seem more useful to me (though not always tasty).
Among the priorities are more fresh and healthy food, more fruits and vegetables, i.e. “live” products, simplified products that can be eaten raw or minimally heat treated during cooking. These include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, cereals, mushrooms, nuts, berries, sour cream, unrefined butter, wholemeal bread, fresh yoghurt and milk.
Where and what to buy?
As it turned out, in practice, it is not always possible to find such products despite their abundance in nearby shops. So first I found all the places in my city where I can buy such products at the best price for me.
What did I do?
I researched all the supermarkets and grocery stores in my town near my home. Now, not only in the cities, but also in small towns and cities, you can find shops of such retail chains as Lenta, Auchan, Pyaterochka, Metro and others.
After a few days, I went to the nearest shops and made a list of products that are sold in each of these supermarkets and at what price. Now I already know where to go and what product to buy.
It is worth noting that in many large supermarkets there are corners of Healthy eating, departments selling fresh vegetables, fruits, fresh herbs, some unusual and exotic products.
But, alas, not always the assortment of products can please. And sometimes, having conceived something to cook, you have to go in search of the right ingredient in other stores. Therefore, for myself, I have made a list of these shops and shops:
- Vegetarian shop (there are several of them in the city, including an online healthy eating shop with delivery). In these shops you can buy all the necessary products at once, for example, to prepare a planned healthy meal.
- You will probably find the Fruit and Vegetables stall in your area. The choice is usually quite good, the products are fresh and the prices are sometimes lower than in the store. And if you’re a regular customer in this shop, believe me, a good relationship with the seller will allow you to count on some reduction in price and discounts. In addition, you can bargain.
- Food markets are another place where you can find the most exotic product and save money by taking advantage of your charm and ability to bargain.
- Food and Retail – a place where you can buy products in bulk (for example, after making an appointment with your friends or neighbors). It is much cheaper.
- Specialized spice shops. In my city, this is the East Shop chain and the Ganesha chain of shops with Indian goods.
- Private shops for healthy eating.
- Pharmacies. Find out what useful fees and herbs there are.
- Specialized exhibitions. This is a place where you can buy good products directly from the manufacturer (e.g., honey shows, Indian exhibitions, agricultural exhibitions).
- Surely sellers of their products (milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, berries, herbal products) often appear near your home. Buying food from a grandmother who lives near the village is cheaper. And the product is truly eco-friendly. Dacha markets are especially popular in summer, where they sell products grown in their own garden or garden.
- Cheese-eating, vegetarian restaurants and healthy eating cafes (they are sure to be there if you live in a big city).
Of course, in the summer, our ability to eat more and more live food is dramatically increasing. The rest of the year is a little more complicated. However, the introduction of various fruit, vegetable and green salads into the menu all year round is a real and feasible task.
In spring and winter, in addition to fresh vegetables, you can eat sour vegetables (cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, salted watermelons, etc.). Here we can’t do without grandmother’s recipes, but we’ll talk about it another time. Irreplaceable at this time – dried fruits, rosehip, broths of herbs.